Friday, February 16, 2018

FROM THE RADISSON BLU ATRIA, BENGALURU

                           AMAZING ARUL

“You know ‘Microsoft Excel’? - Yes Sir. You may please sit in my chair, create the Excel sheet, I will be back in ten minutes”.

Arul Sudhakar remembers vividly this situation that has inspired him to take up HR as his career path. He was just 18 then. It happened in The Resort Mumbai, when he was doing his 6 months training. The then HR Manager of the hotel, Sarkar Srivastava was so impressed by his computer skills. He retained him for three months in HR department itself.

“I had gone to tell him that from Front Office, I will be moving to Housekeeping.  One month was over by then. That is when this incident happened. Sarkar has been a great source of inspiration for me” says Arul (33), a teetotaller.

“Oh, let them live happily in Hosur. They have been living there for many years. I am ready to ride 100 Kms everyday”, informs Arul. He was answering to my query why he is travelling from Hosur every day; instead he could shift to Bengaluru. Yes, he rides on a Royal Enfield Bullet from Hosur in Tamilnadu. I found his attitude of sacrifice for the family very appealing. That exactly is the news peg of this blog story.


That said, it is for the first time that, I am writing a blog on an HR Manager. He lives with his Parents, wife Saranya and two children (Lakshita (3 yrs) and son Jeeva (11 months old). Since 1988 he is living here.


I met him in Radisson Blu Atria Bengaluru this week during my stay in this hotel. Vellore born Arul, a Hotel Management Graduate from Trichy (SIHM) started his career with the Residency Group in Chennai. Joined as a HR Trainee, he lapped up three promotions in four years. Later moved to Key Hotels (30 rooms) in Chennai as HR Manager. His next stop was Keys Hotel in Bengaluru, (159 rooms property). Joined Radisson Blu Atria Bengaluru in April 2017.

“Take care of your employees very well. The future seems to be very challenging for HR professionals, as candidates have more options” quips Arul, who has been a contemporary dancer. Has won state level awards. During his college days his dance programs were beamed by TV Channels in Tamilnadu.

Why not you come by car? I asked.

He replied with a chuckle: “Sir, bike is better. You are free to take short routes. Car will take more time”.

I liked his uprightness and disciplined work habits. Indeed Arul is an outstanding HR Professional. My blessings will be always with him.


Text and Pictures by R Kesava Mallia in Bengaluru.


No comments: