Wednesday, March 15, 2017

FOR TRIP ADVISOR

                “WEDDED TO TRIP ADVISOR” 


My relationship with Trip Advisor is unique in many ways.

What started as a way to help the traveller community - has now turned out to be a self elevating spiritual journey for me.

Since the time I started writing for the travel portal (July 2014) my relationship with the world has evolved. I have realised that when you genuinely want to look at the positives of people and situations around you - your life can transform in beautiful ways. Remaining focused on the positives does unique things to people- including myself.  Guess what -even my health has incredibly improved amongst other things!

When I write my reviews I am in a zone – ‘a state of flow’. Many a times my physical self feels stretched to complete the reviews. But the opportunity to capture the good in people and hotels around me - keeps me going.

Every evening at 4.00 PM after I am done with my workshops - I dedicate myself to writing a review or two. I am almost wedded to Trip Advisor. 

To me it's an act of dedication - and the time spent for each review is worth its weight in gold. 


For me, it's not just a review. For me it's the opportunity to touch and talk about the positives.

Writing them makes me look inwards…..be mindful and be aware of myself. I am completely in the present moment when I write. Words flow out effortlessly ...the prose is unhindered and natural.

I consider it as my prayer to God and I commit myself to it totally. It turns out that I spend nearly 6 to 8 hours to complete a review. (going to a restaurant- clicking pictures- sending it to my desktop at my home in Hyderabad- writing the story on my iPad-editing –posting etc). 

The truth is in details and I try to capture as many names, pictures and details as possible, in my reviews. That's why you will always find me taking notes on a flight or in a restaurant.

I like to pour myself sincerely into each of my experiences – and use at least 2000 words in each of my reviews.

On some days I even carry the printouts of my reviews to show it to hotel employees or the aviation staff - just to motivate them. My intention is to bump up their self-esteem. 

Appreciation works wonders.

That’s also the reason I click pictures with as many people I meet. It's my way of saying thanks to them and also making them feel valued.

I feel fortunate and proud. Gods have been very kind.

I did not expect this to turn out the way it has.

Seeing the glass half full, when most of us see it the other way is a skill ……and Trip Advisor is helping me practice it day in and day out.

I am deeply indebted to the hotels for allowing me to write the way I wish to. I am grateful to the traveller community for reading my reviews and finding it useful.

I am also grateful to one more person - my wife Jayaa Mallia. Not many know that my reviews are posted by her. Patiently she spends at least 4 out of the 8 hours every day to post my reviews on the portal. For those who have read my reviews you will know that I like to add as many pictures as possible with my reviews. On an average I would file 30 pictures with each review. All of these are patiently and painstakingly uploaded by my wife.

Thank you all. Thank you Trip Advisor.

As of today I have 537 reviews against my name. I have the record of being the first in Hyderabad for the number of pictures posted (8632) and the number of points scored (more than 3 lacs)…but honestly, these milestones have stopped mattering.

What matters is that I am gainfully engaged in creating a positive culture around me.


Text by R Kesava Mallia in Hyderabad


No comments: